AUGUST CSNA MEETING MINUTES
August 20, 2014 ~ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
The Mary Wade Home
- Welcome & Introductions: attendees- Christel, George, Lee, Luz, Mary Ann, Marianne, Susan, Hope, Terry, Dieniz
- CARE: Yale School Public Health Report – Luz\Dieniz
- Urban Walking Trail- met with Doug Hausladen- approved our walking trail, working on purchasing trail markers and reaching out to parks department and Peabody Museum
- Walking Group starts from Farmers’ Market at: 6pm on Thursdays- going well. Please contact Dieniz at 2032126155 for more details or to start another group at a different time.
- Yoga Class: September 20th 11-1pm- August class was success-8 participants; both classes in Spanish due to demand.
- BIKE DAY 2015- potentially close down road in Fair Haven and have a biking day. We are working on this with city and ULA
- Elm City Open Streets- close down major street for 2 hrs in middle of day for exercise around the city- possibly looking into bringing this concept to Fair Haven/ continuing the work of Elm City Open Streets
- Economic & Community Development – Christel\Lee
- Upcoming Community Dinning Out Night: Tlax Mexican restaurant (formerly Salsa's) 99 Grand Avenue Wed. 8/27, 6-8pm (near East Pearl)
- City Seed Market every Thursday: Q River Park- please support- those with food stamps can double $10 in F.S. for $20 in tokens for fruits and veggies.
- Beautification I-91underpass summer work wrap up and next steps:
- W/ help from: The Community Foundation and URI
- Waiting on URI for pictures to go up, State of CT for landscaping and city of NH for sidewalk and signage
- Next steps: opportunity to cover fence on south side, to add art and to add more local business signage
- Chatham Square Neighborhood Festival: September 6, 1-4pm
- Need VOLUNTEERS- canvassing invitations, setup/ run activities
Interested in this work group? Contact Christel Manning
- Youth, Children & Families– Mary Ann\Sally
- Tutoring program starts in September, apply now to volunteers- tutoring hours: wed, thurs, fri 3-5pm
- Q Garden at Clinton Avenue School summer program wrap up
- Art for the underpass at CSNA festival- working with Free Artists
Interested in this work group? Contact Mary Ann Moran
- Strong School building Project (SPACe) Update Lee
- Storytelling workshop day & evening performance on 10/11
Interested? Join the group on our website or contact Lee Cruz
- Finance Report- Laura\Lee
- Web presence report: website, Facebook - Lee
- Announcements\Report on other events:
- Fair Haven Management Team United Neighborhood Celebration Sept.4, 5-7pm- Lee Cruz is lead.
- Need a volunteer tabler for CSNA & to promote CSNA Festival
- 9th Annual CSNA Chatham Square Festival September 6, 1-4pm
- Save the date: Sat. 10/11 Storytelling workshop day, evening performance.
- 2pm on Labor Day- neighbors will get together to raise awareness and makes traffic regulating signs for the front/grand ave intersection.
The Chatham Square Neighborhood Association is invited to have four members participate in a daylong story workshop on Saturday, October 11th at the Fair Haven Public Library. We are delighted that Bill Harley (www.billharley.com) nationally recognized educator, teacher and Grammy winning performer, will lead the workshop.
The morning session of the workshop will explore how stories help to illustrate important personal values, key perspectives, and a sense of shared experience. Participants will be invited to share recollections of a time when their understanding of the world changed and/or how they came about to experience a new perspective. In the afternoon session, participants will focus on how stories are able to be a source of wisdom that affirms and encourages growth in self and others. Many successful organizations recognize that the ability to tell an exciting and informational story is a great tool for encouraging growth and public awareness of a mission.
The workshop will be on Saturday, October 11th in the Community Program Room of the Fair Haven Public Library, 182 Grand Avenue, New Haven. Lunch will be provided and there is no charge for participants. The day will begin at 9:00 and end at 4:30.
Following the workshop at 7:00 pm, it the Fair Haven Middle School Black Box theatre, Bill Harley will join Carlos Santiago and another community arts group to present a live performance for adults and children. The performance is free and we promise it will be exciting and fun.
These events are made possible through the generosity of Bill Graustein and his ongoing commitment to vibrant community life as demonstrated by the Chatham Square Neighborhood Association as well as his support for development of the Strong School into a community and arts center for the neighborhood and the city.
If you are interested and available I encourage you to contact Catherine Conant at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 860-505-0223 with any questions and/or to confirm your participation.