Fair Haven is a Diverse Community with a Rich History and a Beautiful Waterfront
May 21, 2014 ~ 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
The Mary Wade Home
• Welcome & Introductions: Attendees- Mary Ann, Clymenza, Luz, Sally, David, George, Henri, Terry, Marianne, Dieniz, Lee
• CARE: Yale School Public Health Report – Luz\Dieniz
• Urban Walking Trail- CSNA members approved to move forward with budgeting for Walking Trail. Maps were presented of the trail. Committee working on this project will have a proposed budget for next month’s meeting. See maps attached.walkingtrailmaps.pdf
• Yoga in Community- Last class went well, community is requesting more classes. CSNA members approved to fund $700 for the cost of paying Yoga instructor for 7 additional months. PPSNE will cover the remaining $200 for a full year of Yoga once a month- 2 classes- one in Spanish, one in English.
• Bicycle Day- Librarian is working with bike class instructor to see if we are able to close off some streets and do a bike safety/repair course for community and a biking activity. Lee suggested contacting Elm City Bicycling for extra support.
Economic & Community Development – Christel\Carlos\Chandra\Lee
• Upcoming Community Soup Night Dinning Out Night: SUN JUNE 1st at Christel Manning’s House from 6-8pm Bring a bowl and spoon.
• Waterfront weekend 2014- official debrief with Econ. Comm. Occurred and most of the feedback was great. Some concerns about whether Mr.Anastasio was satisfied with turnout, but others had great experience and he was willing to pay for both porter potty and police officer. Projected attendance of 650-700 people at riverfest. Beer companies and bands were happy, they would like to come back next year. Boats needed more support, we donated $450 to Watershed Association. Many children that couldn’t afford to pay were still able to do the boats. Better food setup this year, more people Special thanks to Clymenza and Shiela Manning.
Next Year Recommendations: Invite Park Ranger and Peabody for animal display/interactive activity. Ask Lowe’s for donations- buckets and wood panels to create seating.
• Neighborhood Vision Statement final report, for now - Christel\Chandra
• Save the date: Chatham Square Neighborhood Festival: September 6- possibly get local artists to lead a mural painting project/ perform
• Other activities: possibly using logo for summer chairs to be sold at events/to CSNA members.
Interested in this work group? Contact Christel Manning
• Youth, Children & Families– Mary Ann\Sally
• Tutoring program- possibly getting kids to perform at Festival in June and Sept.
• Q Garden at Clinton Avenue School- going well. Kids love it!!
• Other activities: Art in the Park- reach out to Free Skool to see if they can take project over.
Interested in this work group? Contact Mary Ann Moran
Strong School building Project (SPACe) Update Lee
• City RFP and Main St. consultants- we have the RFP, it is being worked on. Several developers came to see the Strong School Building yesterday-3 total.
Interested? Join the group on our website or contact Lee Cruz
Finance Report- Laura\Lee
Web presence report: website, Facebook – Lee
• invite transportation dept to our next meeting- complete streets project. Traffic study can be found on our blog.
• URI program- URI green front yards program looking for interested homeowners on Clinton Ave. or Perkins St. however anyone can apply. Particularly looking for homeowners who may be struggling economically, program covers supplies, just need to volunteer to do the work.
• Chess Citywide Gambit- Gambit a city wide Chess competition with organizers in Dixwell, West River and Wooster Square is looking for someone who loves chess and wants to help organize in Fair Haven, part of a city wide effort leading to a competition on the Green with giant chess pieces
• Exchange Street Block Party on June 28, 12-6pm on Exchange behind Fair Haven Middle School.
• Fair Haven Popup Festival w/ Art Idea Festival, Sat. June 7, Christopher Columbus Family Academy, 255 Blatchley Street
• Branford Town Band Concert May 28, 7-8pm – Mary Wade Gardens
• Honey of an Evening May 29, 6-8pm – Fairhaven Farmacy
aka Melissa’s house on Chatham St. featuring local honey production
• City Seed Community Conversation May 29, 6-7:30pm, FH Library
• Fair Haven Community Parade, May 30, 10:15- 2pm – Chatham Sq. Park