July 15, 2015 ~ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
The Mary Wade Home
- Welcome & Introductions: Susan H, John D, Diane P, Nathalie B, Santiago BB, Mark D, Sally E, Marian H, Tim B, Robert R. Rich P, Brenda B, Christel M, Lee C, Darcia S, John Pescatore from Canal Dock Bouthouse, Inc, Chris B.
- CARE: Yale School Public Health Report – Alycia
- Urban Walking Trail: update: round marker in process.
- Other CARE activities: NA
Interested in working with CARE? Contact: Alycia Santilli (203-785-7651)
- Economic & Community Development Christel\Diane\Nathalie\Lee
- Rowing instruction comes to Quinnipiac Marina: John Pescatore from Canal Dock Bouthouse, Inc. has signed a lease with Lisa Fitch at the QR Marina. Boating, rowing. Affordable costs for family and kids. Yale graduates, Veterans (through VA). Team sport. Strongly encouraging high schoolers, as a way to help with college applications. Lisa has cleared a big space for them and built docks. Sail boats and shells are being donated (expected). Soft start with individual kids. Safety first. Kayaks available.
- Urban oasis, entrance to neighborhood at Middletown Ave: URI applied to State to remove the fence. New photos will be posted. No time limits so far, but progress being made.
- Other URI projects in the neighborhood: Trees planting on Clinton Avenue.
- Fair Haven Forward: CMT meeting presence is being emphasized, Steve Fontana from City EDC will join N and D at the next CMT meeting. Blight with be addressed with Jim Paley from Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven, Inc. Need support from Alderman Ward 14. The city is mostly interested to push toward Western part of Grand. Nathalie and Diane working with the city, pushing to engage LCI + Housing Authority + Alderman. Santiago suggesting to include the Q river park to efforts. Ferry to Front.
- Community Dinning Out Night July 29, 6-8 pm @ Grand Vin with the Meat truck @ 28 East Grand Ave.
- Chatham Square Festival September 12, 1-4pm: Hope and Tambira in charge. 10th Anniversary celebration: Stage, Kings of Harmony group. Contact Hope for suggestions about other music group. hope.metcalf @yale.edu. Need someone to volunteer to table there.
- Other Eco. & Community Development activities:
Interested in this work group? Contact Christel Manning
- Youth, Children & Families– Mary Ann\Sally
- Homework Club at Q Terrace: MaryAnn: NA (summer break)
- Garden: lots of veggies were given away. It’s an open community garden, where people can go pick up veggies. According to common ground Clinton Av garden is the best garden in town. And it truly is!
- Report on Community Gardens: MaryAnn\Nathalie
- Other Youth, Children & Families activities:
Interested in this work group? Contact Mary Ann Moran
- Announcements\Report back on other activities\events:
- Strong School building Project (SPACe) Update Lee: Monday meeting with EDC to ask for an extension (Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)). Music Haven will be giving a Letter of Interest.
- Exchange St. Block Party: Report back, Tom Burwell (not present): Attendance was down. But Good fundraising, food. (May be due to forecast).
- City Seed Farmer’s Market Thursday 3-6pm. Please talk about it. Posters. Outreach/Tabling done by Nathalie.
- Wilson Reyes to speak about his plans for a Grocery Store in the neighborhood- postponed until August. Peck and Downing.
- David Hunter, Mary Wade Home development plans, postponed till August
- Connecticut Found for the Environment (CFE), see blog on Website. Call UI to complain about Cut tree, bad shapes, etc.
Interested in any of these activities contact Lee Cruz
- Finance Report- Laura\Lee NA
- Web presence report: Lee No change
- Police\Safety & Traffic– Darcia Siclari, FH District Manager (203-668-2218):
- Keep your windows locked: there was a burglary at 79 Downing burglary and on Clinton ave; Burglaries have been happening a lot, West Haven, Hamden.
- DEA arrested people at 19 places in Fair Haven. Mostly Ferry.
- There is a New Walking beat: 7pm to 3am.
Next meeting: August 19, scheduled facilitator: George Morrison