May 18, 2016 ~ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
The Mary Wade Home
- Welcome & Introductions: Sally E, Marian L, Richard P. Brenda B, Evelyn Willett, Nathalie B, Jim Yeske, Linda Leonardi, Mark D, Lee C, George M, Santiago BB, Mary-Ann M, Diane P, Leslie F, David H. (New: sign-in sheet)
- Special Presentation from David Hunter: Mary Wade Home (MWH) expansion plan: description of the latest plans to the CSNA community, before even going toward the broader community and the city. Over the past 7 years, the plan to develop the MWH has been evolving, considering all the needs our aging society requires. The plan has evolved nicely; it incorporates facilities for all levels of care, parking for visitors, convenience store, and adjacent housing available for younger families. It is designed to provide an overall sense of livable community, for all. If you wish to learn more and ask questions, please contact David Hunter, CEO, at Mary Wade Home.
- Urban Trail – Kathleen\Lee
- Trail opening officially occurred on April 30, the day of Family Stroll. Great success.
- Maps will continue to be installed in various location in the next few weeks.
- Other health activities:
- Report on RWJF (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Yale Medical School): Culture of Health Prize, tour report - Lee
- CARE meeting last Sat. & grant opportunity (with FH Management Team, CMT). The library in collaboration with the Fair Haven School are working on a Grant application. CMT is also in the loop, interested in promoting communication of what is already available to the community.
Interested in working on health issues contact Lee (203-668-7074)
- Economic & Community Development Christel Manning
We put on 7th annual Riverfest, against the odds but it came off great anyway. Lower attendance than our record last year, likely due to moving to rain date and competing events. But everyone had a great time, and lots of compliments for new features we added this year: Great new bands, a real dance floor with people dancing on it, special guest Running Fox, arts & crafts for sale. Thank you to all who pitched in to make it happen. We are already thinking ahead to next year; please send comments and suggestions to Christel, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FH Family Stroll & Festival: April 30: 800 people attended. Fundraiser for early education scholarships local Fair Haven schools.
- Report on Mary Wade Wine Dinner: phenomenal fundraiser event.
- Parks & Public Spaces: Looking for volunteers to help with the Library Land Trust garden beds. Contact MaryAnn Moran, as she now is the new Fair Haven garden coordination for the Landtrust, overlooking all Fair Haven community gardens.
- Other Eco. & Community Development activities:
Interested in this work group? Contact Christel at email@example.com
- Youth, Children & Families– Mary Ann\Sally
- Homework Club at Q Terrace, Clinton Ave. School & FH Gardens
- Other Youth, Children & Families activities
Interested in this work group? Contact Mary Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Strong School building Project (SPACe) (Lee). Some momentum going on. Still ongoing discussions with the city, developers.
Interested in SPACe contact Lee Cruz – (203-668-7074)
- Finance Report- Treasurer-Sally
- Web site: – website coordinator- Lee:
look at the www.quinnipiacriverfest.com website and if you happen to use one of the supporting business tell them you noticed. We'll need their support again next year.
- Any other recent past activities\events report:
- City Plan Commission Public Hearing: May 19, 7:00 pm, City Hall: we had a 30 min discussion about the request to City Plan by Riverfront development LLC for a special permit to authorize outdoor storage of boats, RV and large containers at 213 Front street. About 25 community members showed up at the public hearing on Thursday and about half testified in front of the commission. Due to the concerns associated with the plan, the committee has decided to continue the discussion with the applicant to get questions answered and reassure the riverfront community at large. Another hearing is expected to occur next month.
- Mary Wade home: Fair Haven Community Parade 10:30-1pm Friday May 27
- Fair Haven Popup Festival 12-7pm Mon. May 30 Memorial Day at Grand Ave. and Blatchley, in front of the main entrance, Columbus School.
- New Haven Festival of Arts\Ideas includes two Grand Avenue Gastronomical Tours. You must make a reservation through the Festival website to join in.
2016 meetings schedule & facilitators:
May 18– Sally June 15– Christel July 20- Mary Ann August 17–
September 21- October 19 - David Hunter November 16 - Mark Duda