CHATHAM SQUARE NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION
August 21, 2019
In attendance: Mary Ann Moran; Kirk Morrison; Stan DeCosta; Fereshteh Bekhrad; Lee Cruz; David Hunter
- Welcome and Introductions
- Finance report
- Beginning balance $15,191.63
- Deposits $40.00 Check cleared
$300.00 Contribution from El Buen Gusto Restaurant
- Expenses $239.90 Annual Fee for the Website
180.09 Material and painting supplies for Strong School
199.23 Donated to Art 25 Joann Moran for Mural and Supplies at the gap by the Grand Ave. bridge.
- Health & Wellness
- New Haven Land Trust (NHLT) Community gardens are flourishing a lot of residents are coming to Clinton Avenue School and taking advantage.
- NHLT has their annual picnic on September 7, 2019 1PM to 5 PM at Lighthouse Park. It will be an Oyster Festival, beer included for $35 a ticket.
- NHLT Entrepreneur program is going well. 15 high school students have created a business where they sell the vegetables they grow in the greenhouse. They are learning how to run a business. They also had a showing of their projects that ranged from compose to lip balm and soap.
- CSNA Urban Trail Film was chosen to be presented at the National Publi Health Administrators Conference in Philadelphia, PA November 2-6th. There will be approximately 15,000 people in attendance.
- Economic & Community Development
- Community Dining out on July 30th was a success. Participants ordered food at El Buen Gusto and went across the street to Fair Haven Community Health Center to eat and watch the Fair Haven Trails video. Residents from the community, Health Center employees and Yale Clinical Scholars were in attendance.
- Community Soup Night is Sunday, August 25th from 6 to 8 PM at the English Street Garden, 220 English Street. Bring a bowl and spoon and anything you wish to contribute. Last year when Soup Night Out was at the garden there were 40 to 50 participants.
- Meeting with the City of New Haven Economic Development Administrator happened at Mary Wade. David, Lee and Sarah and Jayuan Carter discussed the strategic planning session, showed the Fair Haven Trails and discussed the feasibility study on the project. Action items include the following
- Set up a committee to work on the project and agreed
- A representative from Economic Development will assist
- Alder to be involved
- A representative from the Health Center
- A representative from GASSD
- A representative from Mary Wade
- Based on the feasibility study the City needs to put out an RFP
- Fair Haven Community Management Team
- Annual Cookout September 5th at Columbus School Playground at 4 PM
- Volunteers are needed to set-up beginning at 2PM
- Chatham Square Neighborhood to donate up to $950 for a horse drawn carriage. Having a hard time securing one. If you know of a place please let Lee know.
- Talk to George from Grand Apizza help with the cooking.
- Library Report
- The library will have a booth at the cookout
- It has been a busy summer at the library especially for children
- Drawing Cartoons
- Sidewalk art with chalk
- September 21st Bail Fund presentation at 1:00 PM
- September 26th at 6:00 PM Steve Hams Community Policing Screening
- Website Report
- Doing well, please share and encourage others to visit.
- Old Business
- Postpone discussion until September.
- New Business - none
- Policing report
- O’Neil is no longer the District Manager. The new District Manager is Michael Fumiatti. His phone number is 475-331-3180.
- There was a shooting on Lloyd Street earlier in the day. It was the 2nd shooting in two weeks. Police were looking for a red car that sped off.
- Mary Wade is having a groundbreaking for the new Clinton Avenue project on September 18th at 10 AM
- Mary Wade is having their annual Family Fun Festival on September 15th at 1:00 PM
- Michelle Rodrigues has joined the Board of Trustees at Mary Wade
- Street Plan based out of New York is working with the City of New Haven to identify places in the city that need to be have safer walking areas for pedestrians. This Saturday they will paint the intersection at Chapel and Ferry from 8-5 all are welcome.
- Lisa Fitch will host Kayak Days August 24th 9:30-12:30. $50 for ride up the river and to come back in a Kayak.