February 18, 2015 ~ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
The Mary Wade Home
Alycia Santilli (CARE @Yale Public Health), Diane Panasci, Maria Berrios and Glendaly Mercado (LULAC HeadStart Inc), Lt Darcia Siclari (NHPD), Capt Holly Wasilewski (NHPD), George Morrison, Sally Esposito, Luz Catarineau-Colville (CARE), Tim Byrnes, Lee Cruz, Mary Ann Moran, Christina Byant, Marian Lemley, David Hunter, Ian Mc Connell.
- New CSNA secretary: Nathalie Bonafe
- CARE: Yale School Public Health Report – Alycia and Luz.
Grant-funded within the University. Experiencing cut backs due to lack of grants. L Luz will be leaving soon. CSNA still has some leftover grant money: will need to be used soon (see below).
- Yoga Class: next class Sat. February 21, 11-1pm Fair Haven Library
Community Volunteer needed to help promote the program (place phone calls, send reminders, does not even need to be a Yoga enthusiast): No one identified at the meeting.
We are committed until June. Free class. Once a month 3rd sat of each month. 11 Spanish, 12 pm English. Contact Lee or Sandra at the library if interested to help.
- Urban Walking Trail. Volunteers from retreat: Kathleen, Tim – We need more volunteers.
5 walking routes. Signs will be paid by $ available from CARE grant. Signs will be installed by New Haven Department of Transportation
Interested in working with CARE: Contact Alycia Santilli
- Economic & Community Development – Christel\Lee
- Riverfest 2015. Sixth year already. Sunday May 3, 2015. Bands, beer tasting and canoe rides. Working with City Econ development to close Front St, planning to add Grand Ave. tour focusing on restaurants and wine shop.
- Soup Night: Sunday 2/22/15 4:30-7pm, Joan & Patrick 149 Clinton Ave.
- Chatham Park Clean up in April – Joan\Lee. Sat April 11 tentatively? 10am-12pm. Call for resident participation, open to students needing community service hours.
- Other Eco. & Community Development activities : Dinning Out Night March Community Dinning Out Night tentatively planned for restaurant at former Humphrey’s, corner of Humphrey and East street. To be confirmed.
- Music events starting in June 2015, Christmas Caroling & Tree Lighting 2015 & Crepe Day February 2016 (Contact Nathalie)
Interested in this work on Economic & Community Development group? Contact Christel Manning
- Youth, Children & Families– Mary Ann\Sally:
- Art in the Park, Joan and Beth Pellegrino may take over.
- Other Youth, Children & Families activities from the retreat:
- Homework Club at Q Terrace Homework club. Currently working with 7 volunteers. . New dance program for girls with Melanie. George is still doing the chess program.
- Easter Egg Hunt: donations needed: candy, apples, clementine oranges. No candy with nuts. Drop off at Mary Ann’s House, 50 Downing St. Event is on Sat April 4th 1pm. We also need volunteers on the day of the event. .
Interested in this work group? Contact Mary Ann Moran
- Strong School building Project (SPACe) Update Lee. Moving forward.
- Other activities: Mary Wade Home Parade (David Hunter). Fair Haven Family Stroll Sat May 2nd. Co-promotion (Alyx Schiavone): George, Diane and Tim will be at the event promoting CSNA. Exchange St. Block Party (Thomas Burwell). City Seed Farmer’s Market (Nicole Berube), after July 4th. Day of the Dead Bike Ride Nov 1 (Tambira).
We are not responsible for these activities, but we always need help coordinating.
Interested in any of these activities contact Lee Cruz.
- Finance Report- Laura\Lee: None at the meeting
- Web presence report: website, Facebook – Lee (333 members)
- Other items:
- CT Main Street- Lee, Thomas, Diane, Nathalie--Grand Avenue. May 3rd, Restaurant tour.
- Police\Safety & Traffic: Darcia Siclari, FH District Manager (203-668-2218) reported: Pretty quiet lately. Residents raised issues about parking on snowy roads. Bus roads affected, hit-and-run, etc. Report to city police for non-emergency problems @ 203-946-6316.
- New NHPD District manager supervising the Eastern part of the city was present.
- Announcements\Report back on other events:
- Meeting to discuss Housing Authority project at Ferry St. & Chatham in Nov. – No update. A letter will be drafted to Mayor and cc. Alder Ernie Santiago, Karen DuBous Walton, Housing Authority of New Haven.
- Doug Hausladen City of New Haven Transportation at March mtg.
- Fair Haven Community Management Team meeting: Diane reporting possible new grocery store on Downing street. Will bring back information as project develops, suggest report to CSNA.
- Long Warf Brownsville song play—$5 tickets available to promote the play. March 25-April 19. MA will have a code. Interested, contact MaryAnn or Sally 203-530-2394.
- Lulac HeadStart, Inc ready to open a new center for infants/toddlers. Looking for space. Need 4 rooms.