November 18, 2015 ~ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
The Mary Wade Home
- Welcome & Introductions: Nathalie B, Mariam H, Stephen Moffat, George Morrison, John Cush and Rich Pagan (Wells Fargo), Sgt Anthony Maio (NHPD), Laurie Lopez (LCI), Robert R., Sally E, Brenda B, Tom B., Tim B, Fereshreh B, Diane P, Richard P, Christel M, Rafael R, Susan OL, U Kiernan, Michael Haynes (NHS), Kevin Diaz (Police Commissioner).
- Welcome to the New Fair Haven Police District Manager Anthony Maio: His mission is to reduce Crime in Fair Haven. He can be reached at 203-676-8661.
- Urban Walking Trail – Kathleen\Lee will meet with parks department in January to get authorization to put trail maps in neighborhood parks.
- Transform New Haven\City of NH Community Services has come up with this vision statement and asked Chatham Square to sign on. “All neighborhoods will be safe, connected, free of violent crime and have the internal capacity to support their residents’ success. CSNA is considered a model, not perfect but on the way". This requires no commitment by CSNA. Is it OK to say we agree with this vision? The group OKed the statement. No one attending the meeting opposed such statement.
- Other health activities: NA
Interested in working on health issues contact Lee (203-668-7074)
- Economic & Community Development Christel Manning
- Last week’s dining out night at El Fogon went well. Great food.
- Soup Night: Home of Joyce Harned in January, date to be determined.
- Street traffic calming: George presented his new ideas to start a group to educate drivers in our neighborhood; with the idea that this would lead to engaging other leaders in other neighborhoods throughout the City of New Haven.
- Blighted housing issues: Discussion was started a few weeks back at a meeting organized by Diane P around the problem of blight in Fair Haven, engaging different entities to work together to find solutions. LCI with Raphael Ramos and Laurie Lopez, Police with Sgt Maio, neighbors such as Robert R, Diane P and Sally E, etc.
1- The first step is to identify blighted properties: Currently, Downing and Lombard to Peck (102-122 Downing & 83 Lombard), 88 Perkins, 284 Clinton Av. (old Clinton Food Center), 135 Clinton Av. LCI has warned all property owners and is committed to follow up regularly and keep the group updated.
2- The second approach involves Wells Fargo and NHS, and their HomeLIFT program. A down payment assistance grant of $15,000 for first time home buyer.
NHS (represented by Michael Haynes) fixes houses to sell to first time home owners, prepares home owners with advice, financial coaching, help them find a house that best suits them, helps with saving plans, credit improvement, mortgage applications, all in partnership with Wells Fargo bank.
There is no real restriction in terms of whom to serve, need valid SS# and work Visa, need to commit to occupying the house for at least 5 years, need to be first time home owner, can be a multifamily. Wells Fargo bank (represented by John Cush and Rich Pagan) is interested/committed in increasing and promoting home ownership with NHS.
3- Let us spread the word about the availability of the program. If you are interested to find out more about the program or know someone who is, contact Diane Panasci directly or email CSNA (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Interested in this work group? Contact Christel Manning
- Youth, Children & Families– Mary Ann\Sally
- Homework Club at Q Terrace: continuing 2 days a week, smaller group.
- Clinton Avenue School garden will get more beds from the New Haven Land Trust.
- Report Halloween Parade & celebration: very successful/great donation-Thanks/ 170 bags were distributed, 22 prizes, great collaboration with the Fair Haven Public Library.
- Other Youth, Children & Families activities: NA
Interested in this work group? Contact Mary Ann Moran
- Announcements\Report back on other activities\events:
- Strong School building Project (SPACe) (Christel Manning): MOU for 6 months/discussion with developer ongoing.
Interested in any of these activities contact Lee Cruz – (203-668-7074)
- Finance Report- no change from last month. New Treasurer starting Jan. 2016 Sally Esposito. Thanks to Laura Sundstrom for her service.
- Web site: – please keep posting events, info and pictures.
- Chatham Square Turkey Trot 11/26, 9:30-11am– a pre-feast fun event on Thanksgiving. 10 laps around Chatham Sq. Park to get you ready for all that eating. Organized by Kerry brown
- Mary Wade Home Christmas Bazaar Friday December 4 at 3pm. Mary Wade Home, Organized by Rosanne Mondrone
- Mary Wade is welcoming volunteers. Minimum age of 15 years old, the ideal volunteer will have Energy, Excitement and Enthusiasm. For more information, contact Linda Chaffin at email@example.com.
December 16, Holiday Pot Luck Dinner, Sgt Maio will invite Lt Siclary on CSNA behalf.
2016 retreat will likely be held on 1/23, with a storm date of 1/30, at the marina (Thanks to Lisa Fitch).