May 20, 2015 ~ 6:00 pm – 7:15 pm
The Mary Wade Home
- Welcome & Introductions: Lee, Nathalie, MaryAnn, Lt Saclari, Mariam, Christel, Sally, Robert, Kathleen F, David, Terry, Tim, George, Susan, Ross Bernett, Shenal D., Richard P, Brenda B, Henri, Renee Dobos and Karen DuBois-Walton (New Haven Housing)
- CARE: Yale School Public Health Report –
- Urban Walking Trail: Kathleen F: 2 trails have been authorized. Design prototype was presented and looks good to go, it incorporates tree design from the city logo. CSNA will pay for it. City and CSNA will decide where to put the finished signs along the trails. City will install them. Waiting to get the latest map to be put onto the website. Interested in working on Trail? Contact: Kathleen Flynn
- CARE Neighborhood Focus Group: NA. Interested in working with CARE? Contact: Lee Cruz.
- Other CARE activities: NA. Interested in working with CARE? Contact: Alicia Santini
- Youth, Children & Families– Mary Ann\Sally
- Homework Club at Q Terrace: MaryAnn. Program going until June 18. Transitioning during the summer to working in the garden at Clinton School.
- Report on Clinton & Grand Acres Gardens: MaryAnn\Nathalie. Going well.
- Other Youth, Children & Families activities:
Interested in this work group? Contact Mary Ann Moran
- Special guest: Karen DuBois-Walton, Executive Director, Housing Authority of New Haven since 1938 re: Chatham St. Project and other Housing Authority issues
Housing authority has become Elm city Communities. Moving away from housing authorities to building communities.
Promotes mixed incomes communities and provides support services.
New property purchased at Chatham and Ferry. 32 rental apt mixed income families. Karen emphasized congenial talks between Housing Authority and the neighbor(s).
Funds have been received—Work will start around June. The new building will have tight regulations. Maintenance managed by Housing authority. Very similar to Q Terraces or other similar structures in New Haven. Very informative meeting. Interested, contact Lee for more details.
- Economic & Community Development
- Riverfest 2015: Christel\Lee. Riverfest was coordinated with Family stroll. 500 + people came, mostly from out our Fair Haven. 150 people went out on the river (Canoe rides). Clown. Food was good, free beer tasting, music. Nice article in the Independent and lots of pictures from Chris Randal “ILOVENEW HAVEN”. Thanks to Lt Saclari for supporting River fest and family stroll (800 kids). (and Easter egg hunt).
- Grand Avenue Food Tour: Lee coordinated with 6 local restaurants down the street and ran the tour (Nathalie coordinated with Grand Vin). We learnt history of Grand avenue. It was such a great success, that there will be 2 more tours in May. Saturday May 23 and Sat May 30.
- Fair Haven Forward Report: Diane\Nathalie: We continue to build relationships. There will be a follow up to the May 11 meeting: A business social Wine and Cheese RSVP only. Check the website for update from Nathalie.
- Community Dining Out Night: Next Wednesday check the website—Lee will communicate to group
- Other Eco. & Community Development activities:
Interested in this work group? Contact Christel Manning
- Announcements\Report back on other activities\events:
- THIS COMING FRIDAY Mary Wade Home Parade: May 29, (Rain date, June 5) 10:30 at Chatham Sq Park. There is a request for a CSNA volunteer to help with food, etc: contact Linda Chaffin at 203-672-7829.
- Exchange St. Block Party: Tom Burwell. June 27: 12-6pm
- City Seed Farmer’s Market. Thursdays after 4th of July. From June 4 to August 6, the Friends of Q River park (5-7 pm at park) will have work sessions, with the help of Q University students this year. FQRP are looking for recreation event planner, musicians, etc. contact Tom. Great lectures and educational programs planned (check web site for details).
- Mary Wade Home program presentation in June. Grant $2m service navigator. Check website.
- Purchase/donation of new signs – Sally/Nathalie/Diane: American Sign on Ferry was approached for possible donations/discounts. Negative/no response, we will have to contact another vendor.
- URI update: Community Green space. Ross Bernet. Lead remediation Program available. Check blog posted on CSNA website by Ross.
- Strong School building Project (SPACe) Update Lee. Pending.
- CSNA website changes and outreach – Lee, Check Website for new languages. Use it.
- Wilson Reyes to speak at June meeting about his plans for a Grocery Store in the neighborhood.
Interested in any of these activities contact Lee Cruz
- Finance Report- Laura\Lee. Positive balance. Thanks to most recent donations for River Fest.
- Police\Safety & Traffic– Lt. Darcia Siclari, FH District Manager (203-668-2218).